Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hippidy Hoppidy Easter's On It's Waaaay

Easter is upon us. It’s that time of year where there’s egg decorating, egg hunts, chocolate bunnies, marshmallow peeps, jelly beans etc. For some it’s a little bit of spring time heaven. For vegans...it’s a little on the nightmarish side. I mean, think about it! I personally am not a religious person, so all I had going for me was the eggs and massive, deadly amounts of sugar and who knows what else! This is my second Easter as a vegetarian and first Easter as a vegan. Surprisingly it hasn’t been that difficult! The only thing that has been a little difficult is breaking with tradition. Every year for as long as I can remember I have been coloring eggs. Even when my nephew was too young and there weren’t many kids yet in the family...I colored eggs. I insisted on my mom getting me some eggs and I would spend all evening making cool colors and interesting patterns. So when my family gathered at my grandmas this past Saturday to color eggs, I was a little shocked with how repulsed at the idea I was. Sure I still wanted to decorate...but no way was I decorating eggs!!! So I went to Target. Enough said right? I found this pack of 6 clay (I think they’re clay) eggs. In the pack was also a tiny set of paints and a horrible little paint brush. I say horrible because the brush itself was made from plastic bristles...kind of hard to paint with. So while my family dunked and soaked their eggs in dye, I painted away. Some turned out pretty cool!





This will also be the first Easter I am not spending with all of my family. Last Easter was hard enough as a vegetarian. My family looks at my eating as “Well, that’s your decision, you deal with it.” So they don’t bother worrying about fixing anything I can eat. Last year I was left with potato salad and macaroni and cheese. This year...potato salad. So I am having a vegan Easter with my aunt! She stopped going to family functions a few years ago because she was sit of the drama and attitudes...don’t blame her! She’s also the one aunt (aside from my dear aunt Annette who died two years ago) that I can really get along with. And she’s interested in vegetarianism/veganism etc! So we decided we are having our own vegan Easter this year! I am so excited! The menu hasn’t been finalized yet...but it’s looking pretty good! I’ll be sure to post pics!

So what are you doing for Easter? Are you doing anything vegan? Maybe a cruelty free alternative? Let me know! Over the past month I have gotten many more readers, which I love! I truly appreciate all of your feedback! I do have one thing to ask...if you have any feedback (definitely encouraged!), please leave it below on the blog. This way I can respond easier and who knows...maybe it will start a new discussion!? Thanks for coming back to read another post...and for any newbies...welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment