Friday, November 22, 2013

Have A Great Meal Without Wanting Your Stomach Pumped Afterwards. aka The Holiday Prep Post

Can you believe we are almost through November?
Almost through 2013?!
Oy vey!

Thanksgiving is less than a week away, and while I don't support why we celebrate, it's an excuse to make lots of food and a chance to surround yourself with people you love. Two of my favorite things!

Being the only non meat eater (let alone vegan) in my family, food based gatherings came become a little frustrating. Though I have been veggie for 4 years now, my family still just doesn't get it.  I now acknowledge that they just don't want to. Every vegetable dish gets smothered in butter, that's just the kind of eaters they are. So, when I am heading to a family food gathering, I know it will solely be up to me to provide food I can eat.

Last year, I made a HUGE Thanksgiving meal. I may have gone overboard. I'm pretty sure at one point in the day, Martha Stewart was trying to contact me to make sure I wasn't going off the deep end. This year, because of budget, I have to reel it in quite a bit. This year, my menu consists of (so far…and is subject, and likely, to change…)
Potato, Spinach, Parsnip Casserole topped with roasted Mushrooms
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
a warm Quinoa Salad (a work in progress)
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Baked Apples

 I usually prepare a faux meat dish, along with some sides. Over the past year, I've really been rethinking the whole faux meat thing. I think that it's great for someone who is transitioning, or for special occasions like holidays. I just ask that you make sure you know what is in your faux meat. Just because it isn't animal, doesn't mean that it's necessarily good for you. I recommend Googling some brands and figuring out what you feel comfortable with. Make sure you understand the ingredients!

Most people feel that since it is the holiday season, they get a free pass to eat whatever they want and however much they want. Then when the new year rolls around, they head to the gym because they've gained so much weight. Don't let yourself be one of those people. You can eat a variety, without eating large amounts! Try to focus on hearty, filling dishes.

EAT SLOWLY. Are you competing in an eating competition? Probably not. The more you focus on actually chewing your food, we're talking chewing until there is nothing left to chew, the more nutrients you will get from your food and the more full you will feel…faster. Ever wonder why you feel fine while downing your two or three plates of food…then suddenly you feel like Violet from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? You're not giving your body enough time to recognize the mass amounts of food you're eating.

This doesn't mean, however, that you should make yourself miserable. If you want that extra slice of pie…have it. Just don't make the extra slice 3 times the size of an average slice. You'll be amazed at how these few simple tips can leave you feeling satisfied and not like you need to be rolled to the bathroom.

Be kind. Be curious. Be thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment