Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm melting! Oh what a world!

SWEET. BABY. JESUS.
THE HEAT!!!
Summer is definitely cramping Spring’s style right now. It is 10 a.m. and already 84 degrees with about 620% humidity. If you’ve read my blog posts from way back when, you’ll know I don’t do well in the heat. I’m like dairy. If you leave me out in the heat for an extended amount of time...bad things will occur. Ever since I was little I have always dreaded summer days here in south central PA, but have always loved the cool summer nights. Now, don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of summer nights that are just as miserable as the scorching days...but they are slightly more manageable. It seems as though the last few weeks of spring have been forgotten about and summer is in full swing. Just last week Mother Nature was apparently PMSing and whipped up a tornado right down the street from me. That was not pleasant.

So on Saturday I shall be celebrating a birthday. The big two-one. For the past year or so most people hear that and tell me “I’m so taking you out to get trashed!” and all of that kind of jazz. My response? “Nah.” Call me crazy but...I would like to remember my birthday...and not be violently sick the day after. How is that celebrating? To be honest...been there, done that. It’s not for me. Do I enjoy an occasional drink? Sure. But I don’t see what the big deal is.

For my birthday I am gathering a group of my closest friends and we are having a vegan pot-luck! And then we are watching Alanis Morissette in concert on DVD (‘cause it’s MY birthday and I get to choose!). I’m really excited to see what all of my friends come up with! I know some are having anxiety attacks, but I know they’ll bring something yummy. Oh, and I told them that if they bring a salad they are “Uninvited.” Get it? The Alanis song? Oooh yeah, I went there. I really want my friends to explore different aspects of a vegan diet. I’ve already been told a few different times… “I didn’t know you could make that vegan!”
I personally have so many recipes I want to wow my friends with, but I keep reeling it in. I need to remember that it is my birthday and that I shouldn’t be in the kitchen all day. But we’ll see how that goes. One thing I am absolutely making is Watermelon Granitas. I have never made a granita, but since it will likely be hotter than the hinges of Hell and what is more refreshing that frozen fruit?...it’s a win! I’ve been thinking a lot about summertime vegan goodies. What are some of your favorites?

Well, until next time! Be kind, be generous, be cool. And enjoy this tune!

No comments:

Post a Comment